Srihari S. Naidu, MD, Winthrop University Hospital in Mineola, NY, and colleagues reported online in Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions
that it is especially important the preprocedure "time-out" checklist be done just before vascular access and led by the "physician taking ultimate responsibility for the procedure."
The sample time-out checklist provided in the document included these six items, all of which can be included in our customized checklist board :
• Patient's name and medical record number
• Procedure to be performed (e.g., left heart catheterization, coronary angiography, right heart catheterization)
• Route to be used (e.g., right femoral artery)
• Confirmation that the equipment needed is available or alternatives are available including intended stent type for PCI or cath-possible patients
• Patient's allergies and pre-medication if appropriate (e.g., heparin-induced thrombocytopenia, contrast allergy)
• Special laboratory or medical conditions (e.g., elevated international normalized ratio, chronic kidney disease)
For more information (http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/PCI/31801
*Click thumbnail to view or print larger image.